5:44 PM

Back to our basic desktop.

posted under by Pinheiro | Edit This
In the last weeks I been spending more than a fair bit of time working on what I consider the basic desktop, you know what we usually know as KDE that will be reincarnated soon in 4.10...

The focus so far as been mostly in decluttering most of the visual junk that had no  functionality, In a way making our KDE more simple without making it more "dumb".

So far I'm happy with a new wallpaper still a W.I.P. (I for some reason hallways need to start with a new wallpaper canvas.)

Me and Marco Martin moved into clean air a "bit" and I'm really happy with the progress so far.

We are also trying to improve some fundamental aspect of oxygen windeco in correlation with how apps can use it, for example letting apps use some features of  oxygen automaticly.
The test app for this as been decided to be Gwenview. And if all goes well we get this on kde 4.10.....


Sooooo, I start to look at the app this week end and I notice that the Background is a solid dull colour, and I thought.....hummm... "a texture would be much nicer" sooo I get to do one..... Problem (there is always one right?) textures need to be tested....So I had to make a little demo QML app to test a texture.... The result (texture not the QML) is what you can see above, plus a black opacity mask on top so that one can make it more or less dark depending on what you like best...

But once I created the little demo I could not resit and expand it into including possible replacement for the thumbnail view in Gwenview. (don't like it much)
The result can be seen in the video down here ;)...

 

I'm not sure Aurélien Gâteau will be interested in using any of this (I'm sure my code is way to messy to be used in any way and he probably as a much more efficient code under the current gwenview) , hopefully the noise texture will be ok to be used and that was the point. But its fun what one can do in QML over a few hours of trial and error code/design.

Any way and more importantly 4.10 is looking like our best KDE Desktop ever ;)

More in the coming weeks....

17 comments

Make A Comment

17 comments:

nowardev said...

here it's was my job ,and on 1280 x800 i get a nice wallpaper

but insome screen i am sure it's a mess

http://kde-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/149576-1.jpeg

Unknown said...

Wow! Gwenview looks fantastic with the texture backgrounds!
How much would these subtle texture backgrounds slow the applications down?
Could it be integrated into the whole desktop?

Unknown said...

KUDOS Nuno :)

It looks gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I'm all in favor of the textured background, but not so much the added shadow around the picture.

Especially if the image itself already has a shadow or border, or contains (semi-)transparent parts near the edge, it will probably look weird and make it difficult to see where the image ends and the viewer UI begins.

Unless of course you want to to narrow Gwenview's scope to become a pure photo viewer (rather than a generic digital image viewer), in which case those problems don't apply...

Mattho said...

I don't think wallpaper/texture backgrounds are a good thing. Look what Microsoft did in Windows 8. Just solid colors, it doesn't distract you. Photos application is one to take inspiration from.

Pinheiro said...

"Look what Microsoft did in Windows 8" I did and looked the other way, personally don't like it one bit...

does your clothing distract you? all real things in your world are textures, a solid colour never exists do you get distracted by reality???


Before everybody gets too excited, As Gwenview maintainer I would like to point out that it looks beautiful and I would like Gwenview to looks like this, but:

- This is just a mockup

- I was not aware of this work before this blog post came out

- I have no plan to get this done for 4.10

Ivan Čukić said...

Nice. Though, I find Marco's idea of putting the content in the top layer, and sides /below/ quite interesting.

Thomas Gahr said...

I must admit: I immediately stole the texture image from that page and set it as my desktop background - I really like it :)

I also like the idea of putting the thumbnails on the side and not the bottom on gwenview, given the fact that screens tend to get wider I think it's more optimal screen estate wise.

Rehan Ahmed said...

Most Expensive Cars in the World, Top Concept Cars, Top Strange Vehicles in the World and Car latest hot top Wallpapers
worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com

Junaid Walayat said...

Latest Stocks and Shares Rates, Exchange Rates of International Market News Updates, Brokers Directory, National News, Stock Markets, TopNews Arab Emirates, Dollar Exchange Rates, Current Exchange and More Forex Business Update News.
latestfxmarket.com

Muhammad Khalid said...

Free Facebook Likes, Free Targeted Facebook Likes, Make Unlimited Likes on your Facebook Fan Page, Facebook Share, Facebook Followers, Facebook Post Like and Share, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Follow, LinkedIn share, Youtube Views Likes and Subscribes
Social Media Marketing is the easy way to increase your Folow Likes and Subsribes
getlikefast.com


World's Most Popular Cars, Hot Speed Cars, Hot Cars with Hot Girls, Cars Latest Pictures with all info, Latest updates Cars Models and Company Cars, Strange Vehicles, Concept Cars, Top 10 Expensive Cars in the World.
Visit this Link for More Strange Vehicles and Cars with Latest info and Pictures
WorldLatestVehicles.com

yogesh kumawat said...

But once I created the little demo I could not resit and expand it into including possible replacement for the thumbnail view in Gwenview. (don't like it much)
The result can be seen in the video down here ;)... this website

clipping path said...

This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would want...HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great! clipping path


Billions of Internet Users Search Online Jobs on internet and Make Perfect Business from home, Internet World Wide Online Jobs and Business Plans.
Genuines Works of Data Entry, Copy Pasting, Add Posting, Clicking, Web Surfing, Website Visiting, Article Sharing, Data Sharing, Google Business Plan and Much More Business Plans.
www.jobzcorner.com

xamthone ajaib said...

Agen amazon Obat Herbal Alami Kanker Serviks

Kanker serviks ialah sejenis kanker yang sembilan puluh sembilan koma tujuh % disebabkan oleh human papilloma virus onkogenik, yang menyerang leher rahim. obat herbal kanker rahim

top